Fight Periodontal Gum Disease with Us
Periodontal disease can be a severe matter. It attacks the bones that support your teeth and your gums. Periodontal disease begins when the sticky film of plaque sticks to your teeth, causing tartar buildup. Without professional removal, the tartar and plaque begin to wear down the gums and bone. Our Mountain Shadows Family Dental team in Buckeye, AZ, prevents and treats periodontal disease. Patients often don’t know they have a problem because periodontal disease is usually painless at first. Contact us for more information.
Causes of Periodontal Disease
The most common causes of periodontal disease include:
- Plaque and Tartar Buildup – Without routine cleaning, plaque and tartar buildup on teeth, infecting gums and forming pockets of plaque.
- Poor Dental Hygiene – Periodontal disease develops without proper brushing and flossing daily.
- Excessive Gum Inflammation – Gums often become inflamed without regular dental cleanings. Excessive and prolonged gum inflammation can lead to eroding bone and tissue and tooth loss.
Symptoms of Periodontal Disease
- Periodontal disease symptoms include:
- Bleeding or tender gums
- Consistent bad breath
- Receding gum line
- Gum discoloration
- Tooth alignment changes
- Loose teeth
- Painful chewing
- Gum discoloration
- Swollen Gums
- Loose Teeth
Types of Periodontal Disease
We customize our dental treatments to your type of periodontal disease. The most common types and stages of periodontal disease include:
- Gingivitis – Gingivitis is the first stage of periodontal disease. You’ll notice discolored, painful, or swollen gums.
- Periodontitis – Periodontitis is the stage when the gum disease infection moves below the gum line. You’ll notice inflamed gums, receding gum lines, and bad breath.
- Aggressive Periodontitis – Aggressive periodontitis is an advanced stage. Patients often suffer from bone and tissue loss.
- Systemic Periodontitis – Systemic periodontitis is often caused by heart disease, diabetes, and respiratory disease.
Treatments for Periodontal Disease
Periodontal disease treatment depends on the phase of the disease. Treatments for periodontal disease include:
- Root Planing – We’ll smooth the surface of your tooth’s root to help prevent further disease.
- Scaling – Scaling removes tough, hard plaque from your gum lines and teeth
- Antibiotics – We can prescribe antibiotics to fight away infection.
For advanced periodontal disease, treatments include soft tissue grafts, bone grafts, and pocket reduction surgery.
How Can I Prevent Gum Disease Before It Starts?
Gum disease happens over time, but many people don’t know they’re suffering from it before they’re in intense pain. You can take simple steps to help avoid periodontal disease, including:
- Maintain a balanced diet
- Schedule routine dental visits
- Brush and floss at least twice a day
- Use an antimicrobial mouth rinse
Partner with Mountain Shadows Family Dental to Fight Disease
Mountain Shadows Family Dental is here to help you fight periodontal disease. Our friendly staff will answer any questions or concerns you have about your oral health. The Mountain Shadows Family Dental team stands above the rest for our devotion to our passion for dental health. We understand some people are apprehensive about visiting the dentist, so we make it as comfortable as possible. From your first tooth, we’re committed to serving your dental needs. We provide long-lasting dental solutions, and we can help with insurance and financing. Contact us for a dental visit today!